View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
FricFrac
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 300ZX 280ZX 240
FricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to FricFrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMBmikeZ View Post
As far as "normal oil" goes, ester is the normal one the manual calls for. I have gone with synthetic since the first oil change and will continue to from here out. standard motor oil should not be used in our VQ engines they need a higher quality product!

Both ester and synthetic oils are much more viscous and will do a much better job lubing our engine!
Uh viscosity is based on the weight of the oil (eg 10W30) so a 5W30 should be the same viscosity as 5W30 synthetic. If anything the synthetic is "less viscous" as the more uniform carbon chains on average are shorter and can seep past seals on older vehicles where there was no oil leakage with dino oil.

Also synthetic oil doesn't really do a better job at lubricating compared to dino oil. Synthetic oil doesn't break down as easily so it lasts longer or maintains its original lubrication properties for longer. In higher heat applications such as our engine and turbo cars synthetic is a must.

Just saying to clarify not to nit pick.... but yes use synthetic oil. It's pretty cheap now adays so I use it in all my vehicles regardless.... regular oil changes and changing the oil filter every time is the big one.