View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Tanooki
Base Member

Drives: 370Z MT Base/Spt Red
Super Tanooki is on a distinguished road
Default Out-of-State car purchasers pay tax twice?!

Hi all.

I live in Vegas, and I've been frantically researching to buy a new 370Z in the New Year in fits of boyish excitement. Most of the cars I see are over in SoCal. But my father-in-law tells me that if I buy a car over in Cali, I'll have to pay tax on the purchase TWICE - once over there and then again to Nevada when I come to registering it.

Now, that seems completely ridiculous to me, but having just moved to the US from UK in April this year, if an American tells me something about America, I tend to take on board what they tell me until another trusty American (or a few) informs me otherwise.

You guys are those trusty Americans.

So, at the risk of looking like a complete idiot, I thought I'd ask you guys if that's true. Because if it is it seriously stamps out the option of buying in Cali, which massively reduces my options (especially considering I've been speaking to a dealership over there who seem perfectly happy with talking invoice pricing with me).

Oh, and this is my first ever thread - sorry if its a repeat or there's a better place for it. I had a quick search beforehand.

Thanks in advance, everyone.
Super Tanooki is offline   Reply With Quote