View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #81 (permalink)
antennahead
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '07 Z4 "M" Roadster
antennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZForce View Post
^^In your owners manual it states for the owner to check their own oil levels.

Now if you are having the car regulary maintained by the dealership as in taking it to them when the mfg suggests in the owners manual to change the oil and IF the dealer takes an oil reading before the oil change and notices it low on oil then YES it's their responsibilty to inform you of low oil and they will normally check to see if there are any recalls or TSB's. If they check for a TSB, then they should inform you that the car meets the criteria for them to start the oil consumption test.

I would suggest taking a copy of the TSB with you to the dealer if you have any suspicions of excessive oil consumption. I would also suggest that you check the oil on a regular basis (every two weeks or every 500 miles) and keep a log or on post-it notes.

The car with 347 miles on the engine will consume some oil as the engine is breaking in. The ticking sound, I would be concerned with it and report it to the dealer. It's possible the car did not come out of the factory filled with Nissan's esther oil and the dealer may suggest running esther to see if the ticking sound continues. Note there are alternate oil that have the same additive package in their oils as Nissan's esther oil and at a much lowercost.

I ran Penzoil Platinum (which is synthetic) during my break in and changed the oil several times through out the first 1200 miles.There is allot of assembly lubes in a new engine that need to be cleaned out hence the cheap PP oil and several short run oil changes. There after find a good oil to run and remember a Used Oil Anaylisis is your best friend, they run between $60 and $129 for some peace of mind. Some here have been using Red Line synth oil as their everyday oil to run. I cannot vouch for Red Line with the 370Z, but they did not fare to well on the 350Z VDQE engine. Nuf said there as that statement will probably raise some controversy. The point is that you need to find the best oil with your type of driving as in daily driving, track, spirited driving and your geographical location makes a difference in the oil. Point is, you will never know until you do your own used oil analysis as all cars are not created equal and what works in Johnnies car on the other side of the USA will not have the same results with yours being the type of driving you do and your location.

I said enough, and I am just enjoying my 370Z and really do not want to venture down again on the Oil Consumption Road. I will still subscribe to this thread maybe just to offer some experience with the oil consumption we had with my brothers revup 2006 350Z. His was one of the first to have his engine swapped back in the day. Everyone here is familiar with the longest thread going on My350Z dealing NNA and the infamous oil consumption. I have posted earlier in this thread another link from My350Z on Oil by member "Resolute". Very good reading there if you want to know more on oil.

I have said it before and will again, there should be another new thread opened up by a member here (not from G37) to be able to update the first post from time to time. This threads first post is already outdated showing the TSB for the G37 when the 370Z TSB has been out since June 30, 2010.

Cheers ZForce aka ZeeForce
Curtis