View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
jadeb0x
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z PW M6
jadeb0x is on a distinguished road

well it's my luck then. honestly, when i first bought my 370Z before most of you owners... i called both shops for quotes on my spring install, and Z1 quoted me higher than Forged. so since Forged was closer to me, almost naturally, i go to their shop.

it's not hard to install spacers, wheels, exhausts, springs, and other bolt-on parts to a car. i'm just at the point in life where i can afford to pay someone else to do it for me. i don't like rolling up onto low slope ramps and using slim jacks to lift up my car at home.

i've been working with "tuner" cars for 15 years now, so i have a fair idea of what things should cost. there's no need to exaggerate and say that one shop is going to charge 3-4 times more. if anything there's a $50-200 difference between the two local shops that i have seen. now being a car owner, you would have to also consider transportation costs such as gas and towing if needed.

at Z1 you'll see primarily Z's, and that's probably what attracts other Z owners to their shop. at Forged, there's cars from all over the US and even overseas that are being worked on each time i visit, and they're not the same car that's just been sitting there but different ones. Forged deals with various makes and models, although Z's make up the majority of cars being worked on, you'll see many other makes. so if you want, check the subaru, evo, gt-r, and other forums if you want other opinions about them.

Z1 has a 2WD dynojet, and dynojets are known to produce higher numbers. Forged has a 2WD/4WD dyno dynamics that is notorious for lower numbers. when it comes to dynos, i'm more concerned about the power curve. i dyno'd at both shops, and i did have higher numbers on the Z1 dynojet. then there were some cars that dyno'd the night before on Forged's dyno, and produced lower number on Z1's dyno the following day. now some say there's many factors in a dyno, they way the car is strapped down, temps, humidity etc. in either case, when dyno tuning, just pick one and stay with one dyno. like weighing yourself in the morning and using your same bathroom scale each time.

i'm not here to bash either shop, because i do think they are both decent shops. so i don't think the bashing of Z1 or Forged in this thread is necessary. both are sponsors to this forum, and that shouldn't be allowed in the first place. but you as the customer have the right to form your own opinion and take your money to whichever business you prefer.