View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
IslandDon
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z PW 7AT
IslandDon is on a distinguished road
Default Damage by tire installer, weighing options

A few days ago I replaced the summer tires on my shiny new 370Z with some all seasons that I plan to use as a compromise between that and an actual snow tire.

The tire place I used (Firestone) managed to chip the paint on two of my wheels.

Pretty frustrating because I made it crystal clear that the car was new, the wheels were *perfect* and that any damage at all wasn't going to be acceptable. They assured me it would be fine.

The damage is one spot on each of the two wheels right at the rim, as you'd expect.

So, they've offered to have the wheels repaired at a local shop that will strip them and then powdercoat. Takes 3 or 4 days - during which my car sits at the tire place on a lift or jackstands or somesuch.

My first question is are these wheels (Sport package) originally painted or powdercoated?

The wheel place assures me they will match the factory color.

I'm really leery of having brand new wheels with essentially minor damage completely refinished.

I can envision a downward spiral of turning minor blemishes into wheels that don't look right or have a finish that will not last like the factory finish.
And then I'm trying to get the wheel guys to redo them, or buy new wheels etc.

And then there's the risk that the tire place will damage the newly refinished wheels putting the tires back on.

Did I mention the car has 750 miles on it? Sigh.

Alternate plans include buying replacement wheels (no idea of price for those Rays), or just trying to do some touchup on the small chipped areas.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Don
IslandDon is offline   Reply With Quote