View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
SoCal 370Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Answers
SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

I believe I get where Dylan is coming from, and here's a true story that might help you:

I reside in a neighborhood where a very small minority of homeowners wash or detail their own vehicles. They either go to a detailer, and some use a mobile detailer. I do wash and detail my own vehicles because it relaxes me and it's the only time I feel I do not have to answer phone calls. Several years ago my neighbor across the street was impressed with my vehicles so he started to take an interest in what I used. One weekend he walks over to have me come see what he purchased. He had purchased Porter Cable with a Meguiar's kit. He jumps into it with "zero" training, and of course his car does not turn out like mine. There are reasons for all this: he does not have the aptitude nor the attention to detail; he's not interested in taking the proper amount of time to do the various stages to get the results that I do.

What's worse is that for about a year after that he would tell me how he didn't like the product, and then he just ceased using the Porter Cable altogether. And he kept insinuating that I had something to do with it (bloody pain-in-the-*** as he would see me detailing and have to come over and waste immense amounts of my own private time, and I would have rather answered phone calls when he was around) trying to figure out what I was doing. I suggested he attend free detailing clinic, but he was too proud to do that.

I've read and seen about others who get into detailing their own vehicles who, in a very short time, abandon and sell their equipment. So here's a little cheat sheet:
  • It is harder than it looks, but the results are very satisfying, and they last long enough to be worth the effort.
  • Truly, if you are not good with power tools DO NOT get into detailing. You will do more harm than good, and end up paying to get matters corrected.
  • The Porter Cable is a great unit as it can also be used for other work, such as sanding so if you choose to stop detailing then you can still use it for other things.
  • The Porter Cable resells easier than the Flex because the initial cost is different, and most people know nothing of the Flex brand.
  • The people who do get into detailing buy one helluva a lot of product, but it's money well spent, and you never seem to quench your curiosity of looking for that holy grail of products that work best for each specific application.
  • If at all possible—attend a detailing clinic.