Thread: Good handguns
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #110 (permalink)
bullitt5897
Premium Member

Drives: Twin Turbo Z34
bullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
I understand this, and maybe it is just inherent ability, but I skipped the range for over a year while I was in college too broke to pay fees/ammo and walked in after that and proceeded to put them all in the head of the sillhouette at the 15 yard line no problem during my CCW class. I think what many cops lack is a good foundation in the FUNDAMENTALS of shooting. Trigger control, front sight, etc. All they care about is taking that dusty thing out of their holster and qualifying every 6 months, 1 year, whatever their policy is. They never break it down and clean it, its just more "gear" to them. One state trooper I spoke with did not even know what caliber his P220 was.

They may have heard these terms and know what they mean, but noone spent the time with them to help them feel and use those "terms". I have seen this with a lot of former/current military as well. There is a HUGE lack of understanding of and practice of the fundamentals that lead to making solid hits on target quickly.

Practice makes perfect, but doing the wrong thing over and over and over makes for a poor performance.

OMG!!! PREACH IT!!! this is sooo true! The difference in the good shooters and ok shooters is all in the fundamentals! Its the little things that make the difference! because they all add up... I started out at a gun range renting then decided I wanted more. So I bought an HK45 I liked it alot mainly because of the name and my nerdy gamer attitude. I soon learned that the gun wasnt the best match for me and my inherent shooting style sooo... I started renting again and calling friends Like SEMTEX to go shooting with me and go to gun shows... soon I found that I was meant to shoot 1911's I started watching as my groupings dropped into smaller and smaller circles and I felt extremely comfortable with a 1911 in my hand. One day me an Semtex went to a gun show and we saw my Dan Wesson Valor sitting on the bench brand new for $1200... both of us looked at each other and Semtex (Ben) said if you dont buy it I will... It will go nicely with my collection of Ed Brown's... I said screw that and bought it on site! The next day I took it to the range and I could not believe my eyes when the first 5 shots were a 1" grouping at 25yd backstop... I put the gun down and said I am done for the day... that didnt last but 5 secs before I wanted to shoot it more! Now I am a consistent 3" grouping guy at 25yd backstop so this was night and day!!!

I also bought a POF 6.8SPC AR like in the pics I showed you guys... surprisingly the 6.8SPC is good to 700yds!!! the 5.56 effectiveness truly falls off at 500yds but the 6.8 carries to 700yds! I have a friend with a private outdoor range that goes to 800yds and at 700yds he placed a 6" diameter Manikin(sp) head on a metal re-bar rod that stuck 2-3ft in the ground. It took me about 5-7 shots to hit it but once I did it spun the head like a top and threw the head and re-bar to the ground... I was using a Trijicon TA31F which is only a 4x magnifier so a 6" target is like a speck of dust on the lense. my brother was spotting for me with our 52x spotting scope and every shot was like a 1" to .5" off of the target... I contributed it to shooter error not hitting the target sooner. It seemed like if you breathed wrong or pulled a little too hard on the trigger you missed by a fraction lol I was getting pissed and determined to hit it... and called it a day after I nailed it.

ohhh the fun of shooting
Shop Cars: 2013 318whp Nismo VspecII 370z *SOLD*, 2009 1000hp+ 93oct 4.0L TT 370z Fast Intentions STAGE 4 #054
bullitt5897 is offline   Reply With Quote