View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
JB-370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Stage 2 Twin Turbos
JB-370z is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
There is matte clearcoat available. On my 350z, we 2-toned the car gray and matte black. The matte black was done by spraying standard black paint, and then using the matte clear. This works out a lot nicer then just standard matte paint because it is much much more durable. When my matte black sections look dirty, i can litteraly wipe them off with a dry rag and it doesnt damage or swirl or anything... its awesome. i can be totaly careless with it. Standard matte paint is a PITA as you cannot even touch it without leaving grease smudges, and if you do, its a bitch to get them out. with the matte clear, just wipes right off with a rag.

while my car was at the body shop for the paint job... there was also a BRAND NEW lambo gallardo there that was custom ordered in matte black from lamborghini. IIRC it was $22,000 custom option on the window sticker. The lambo dealer took it to this body shop to have it completely resprayed with new paint and matte clear, because the lambo paint job was impossible to keep clean and had smudges and stains all over it just from people cleaning the windows etc while it was in the showroom. the car looked blotchy with stains all over from being in the showroom. I would have to assume that this car was originally painted with standard matte paint, rather than a matte clear.
Thanks. This is very nice to know.