View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
TypeOne
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: BSM 370
TypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond reputeTypeOne has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to TypeOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Fo12ce View Post
I want cats but I have a concern.

I've heard and seen first hand on my friends S/C 350 that OEM cats can crack on FI and NA cars. Sometimes the particles can be sucked back into the head and score the cylinder walls and rings. How many aftermarket catalytic converter core manufactueres are there? For the ones made here like Berk, Stillen, FI sure there are build quality differences, but how do you know you are not getting the same (for example) Magnaflow core with nicer welds and flanges?

I can't really say for sure, and I don't like to spread misinformation but my friend says he read about people on the 350 forums cracking Berks. I don't know if it's a few people and it's blown out of proportion compared to happy customers or what. Maybe it's the most popular so you hear about more failures?

How does a customer know what kind of heat these things are good for? I think with the well known engine heat the VQ has I'd probably want something designed for a turbo car. I guess we're probably not going to know until people have had these for a while and you just get what you think is the best at the time....
I think the only real way would be to get the companies information on where their cores are coming from. As a consumer and end user, you would have the right to know.

If you are getting a part made over seas which is being used in other brand parts (some who have or haven't had failures) it would be important to know.

If company X uses parts from manufacturer Y, and company Z also uses Y parts, then X and Z should have similar results as far as longevity. Take into account MSRP for both X and Z parts.. then you'll have something to compare.
TypeOne is offline   Reply With Quote