Thread: Good handguns
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #60 (permalink)
bullitt5897
Premium Member

Drives: Twin Turbo Z34
bullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond reputebullitt5897 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
Yes, it made a .224" hole in and a .224" hole out.

Thanks, but I will keep my 9mm and 357SIG and if you like the .45, that's pretty cool, too. In all the penetration tests I have conducted on steel, wood, car doors, etc. the only thing that matters is kinetic energy and frontal surface area of the projectile. This has NOTHING to do with how much damage it will do to something made of flesh that is pissed off and coming after you. It's like saying "I will carry an ice-pick, me Lord! I shoved it through yonder pin 2x4 while me broadsword only sticked the point in by an inch when I thrust at it".

Exaggerated, but you see what I mean.

Also, "knockdown" power is a myth and a joke. Physics dictate that any force acted on the target will be less than that acted on the shooter. This is because of velocity lost in travel from shooter to shootee.

The ONLY thing that matters (unless you hit a CNS structure) is the time it takes to drain sufficient blood from the target to cause the target to cease functioning. Punching ice-pick holes in someone is much less effective than punching 1/2" holes in someone.

I draw the line at 9mm. There are plenty of .380-sized 9mm's that work great. There is no excuse to carry a .22 unless you are naked and conceiling it in your arse or something tripple-secret super-spy.
LOL I did say "crazy" didnt I... I dont consider the .22mag a good self defense round at all. Also, when I was referring to knock down I am referring to the capability for a specific caliber to stop a target its not a myth and the amount of force felt by the shooter does not equal the amount of force felt by the target... that is bad physics as there is several contributing factors of why you the shooter do not feel the kick and or force of the shot... Due to the nature of the slanted slope of a bullets nose there will be an increase in the amount of pressure on that small given area. This will cause the bullet to penatrate the target better than a blunt object... Now if you use hollow points thats a whole game changer as they change shape to inflict the largest amount of dispersing energy at a given penetration depth... in other words what would have felt as a golf ball sized pain and entry wound will know feel like a softball or bigger sized pain and entry wound. A .22 will not phase someone who is pissed charging at you and a .45 will at least stop the initial charge maybe even spin the person or throw them on their butt. This is all relative to where you hit the target and the targets size/weight. Knock down power is simply the amount of Ft/Lbs the bullet carries at a given distance...

Lets take a rifle round for example...

5.56 NATO and 6.8 SPC

I have shot and tested both extensively...

5.56 Nato (Hornady 75gr Tap) *this is the best bullet to transfer the most energy*

100yds = 1090 ft-lbs
200yds = ~918 ft-lbs
300yds = 750 ft-lbs
400yds = 616 ft-lbs
500yds = 497 ft-lbs

6.8 SPC (Hornady 110gr VMax) *this is the best bullet to transfer the most energy*

100yds = 1510 ft-lbs
200yds = 1226 ft-lbs
300yds = 987 ft-lbs
400yds = 836 ft-lbs
500yds = 660 ft-lbs

As stated larger caliber bullets have a greater force at equal distance... If you need graphs I can do a comparison graph to show the difference.
Shop Cars: 2013 318whp Nismo VspecII 370z *SOLD*, 2009 1000hp+ 93oct 4.0L TT 370z Fast Intentions STAGE 4 #054
bullitt5897 is offline   Reply With Quote