Thread: Good handguns
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #54 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370zproject View Post
im looking to buy a handgun to keep around the house and to carry later? price range around 500? any ideas?
Glock 17 for home duty, G19 for carry.

After all the SIG's, HK's, custom 1911's, and all the other stuff I have owned and played with, the Glock 17/19 is the pistol I would want if someone told me "I'm giving you a handgun, 10,000 rounds of ammo, and 5 magazines, and it's going to be the last one you will be able to get. No spare parts, either."

Stuff I have owned:

G19
P226 Elite ST (2, one in 9mm, one in 357SIG)
Wilson Combat Tactical Elite
Les Baer TRS
Ruger .44 SRH

Stuff my Dad/Friends have owned that I have shot extensively in addition:

G17
USPC40
USP45
G32
Colt 1911

The only 100% reliable pistols have been the P226 Elite ST in 357SIG, and the Glock 19 and 17's. The 32 snagged once or twice. The 1911's were all crap (Wilson Combat bought my Tactical Elite back), and the USP's had little bobbles as well, but could be attributed to weak mag or ejector springs as the USP45 had an unknown round-count. The only pistols I still personally own are the G19 for CCW, and the P226 Elite ST 357SIG for the range. GGI worked it over, and had a complete "Tennifer QPQ" type process done. Black stainless is sexy The best group out of it was a 5-shot group at 25 yards measuring 1.17CTC using 125gr Gold Dot's, fired off a sand-bag by one of the GGI crew. It replaced the Wilson Combat in my armory, is just as accurate, and holds nearly 200% as many rounds, and has NEVER had a failure to function. P226>1911 for a steel pistol.

All my pistols wear Trijicon night sights.

*Work done to the P226

QPQ barrel/slide/frame/some internals
Polish stock sear/hammer
Stainless QPQ guiderod
Titanium firing-pin block
Hogue G10 grips
Replace Meprolites with Trijicons
Replace stock takedown level with takedown lever from Combat model/X5 model (It's forged, and made of much tougher steel)
Replace mag-release button with slightly larger one from 4140 forged
Replace "short" trigger with regular trigger (no idea why mine shipped out with a short trigger, I was just happy to find an NIB 357 SIG P226 Elite ST that had just been made. SIG doesn't officially make them anymore, just random "batches".)
Aluminum MS seat

The 9mm P226 Elite ST I owned before this was a basket-case and felt so much worse. Nothing was done to this pistol that could account for it shooting a 1.17" CTC group--which was not abnormal for the gun, they sent me several 1.4-1.6" groups and stated thats what it did all day. The only "accuracy" work done was smoothing up the trigger pull (I had them just polish things, leave stock geometry alone).

This is THE pistol I would want it TSHTF and I was not moving around a lot. Realistically, though, my G19 would be the smarter choice, and I can put them all in a 6" group at 20 yards standing with either pistol, regardless of their "mechanical" accuracy potential. That's about all I am good for. The weight of the SIG makes popping milk-jugs at 50 yards cake, though, from seated. That 357SIG round hits hard. This individual lot# chronographed 1355 at 15' from the muzzle.

Last edited by ImportConvert; 11-17-2010 at 12:04 PM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote