View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Kyle@STILLEN
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Toyota Tundra
Kyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond repute

So I was walking by a photo of my old truck in the lobby today and realized something...I did something VERY similar to this on my old truck I had just totally forgotten about it. In fact, it wasn't even as good as this new setup.

On my old truck I had an issue with the fitment of my wheels. The truck cycled 16 inches of wheel travel and could clear 37 inch tires. However, we wanted to run the STILLEN urethane bumper cover but the bumper cover hung about an inch or more lower than the stock bumper. So, I had an issue with tire clearance, it rubbed like a BITCH. To fix this we just took a pie cut straight out of the center on both sides of the bumper about an inch or two long and then bonded it back together. It was very easy and worked great. As far as cracking is concerned. To put it into perspective of what this front bumper stood up to:

1) I was on my way to a photo shoot one day and I was about to exit the freeway, I looked over at the lane I wanted to be in and saw that the Expedition in front of me was towing a trailer with a large cardboard refrigerator box on it. I had noticed it for awhile as we had been traveling down the freeway side by side for quite some time and I felt comfortable following him. About ten seconds after I pulled into the lane the cardboard box came off the trailer and smashed right into the front of my bumper!!! I pulled off to the freeway expecting to see all kinds of damage to my hood, bumper, grill, possibly headlights etc. Turned out the only damage to the truck was the paint had come off my bumper......because my painter used "adhesion promoter" not primer like I instructed him. Hence the reason I am so adamant about using primer NOT "adhesion promoter." I took the bumper back to him the next day and picked it up a few days later good as new.

2) I took this truck to a photo shoot with Truckin' magazine at Dumont dunes where we raced around the sand dunes and through the whoop roads while they snapped a ton of photos.

3) I took this truck to Glamis for President's weekend and drove around like a mad man all weekend long. Through the whoop roads to Oldsmobile hill, through the roads around our camp, for three days this truck saw nothing but sand and I had to fill the fuel tank a couple times. As far as what abuse did it see? Well, if anyone ever sees this truck just look inside the wheel wells and look at the upper control arm. Notice the massive bolts holding the upper arms to the spindle. Then look directly above it at the bottom of the wheel well and notice the hex shaped stamp imprinted on both sides of the wheel wells...Yea...that was a good jump! That jump used about 17 of my 16 inches of wheel travel LOL!

Here are some pictures of the truck:

STILLEN : Project Vehicles - STILLEN Nissan Titan Silver

Those are just a few examples of the abuse I put that truck through and that bumper held up perfectly fine and never showed any indication of cracking or anything. The reason I mention it is because that bumper did not have any other support to it, just the urethane epoxy holding it together and because it was properly prepped and installed, I never had an issue. I know for a fact that if it is done correctly, you guys also won't have any issues with it.

With that being said, toner to answer your question, I am talking with Steve Millen right now about us blending that line before we ship the fascia's. He is looking into what's involved and I will have a quote for you tomorrow.

Thanks!

Kyle

Last edited by Kyle@STILLEN; 11-16-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Kyle@STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote