View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #76 (permalink)
optiontrader
Track Member

Drives: 40th
optiontrader is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ3 View Post
so what..its not like in those 10 years incrementally the engines have progressed. Allot of the current bmw engines arent impressive, at all! infact the ones that are note worthy are assisted by turbos...and the new M3 is now a v8which by many accounts have been reported as a drivers race. there is no bad blood at all here

"just saying"
I'll have to side with lamboworld here. As much as I love the power in the Z, those BMW powertrains, are well, just engineering wonders.

Yes, the S54 was putting out as much power back then as our Z is now, but the smoothness of that Beemer engine is awesome (like the vibes of our VQ at 5k+ rpms? ). Their M3 engine is a V8 with an 8500 rpm redline.

Yes, assisted by turbos, but I really toyed with the idea of a "stripped down" new 335i for that powerplant - it's pure awesome. No lag, just gobs and gobs of torque.

Now, the V8 turbo engines that the M5/M6 is about to get? Hopefully I'll never drive one in the next few years... temptation to sell my kids' tuition savings may get the better of me.

40th Anniversary Z - 3M Paint Protection Film, CA Legal Tint! (70/40)