View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
XwChriswX
WFLYIDNNE

Drives: 02 GDB WRX
XwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumadaman View Post
I have installed the Nismo Catback Exhaust on my Z. I am looking to put the Stillen Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Dual Intake Kit on Z. I was wondering if I buy it and get it installed at the dealership would it not void the warranty. Also does it make a big difference, I have never installed an intake on any car. I have read reviews that I might have to get a oil cooler??? Let me know your thoughts.
It's honestly not that hard of a mod to do. You could do it yourself in less than a day. If you're comfortable torquing a few wrenches here and there, the hardest part is trimming the holes in the front subframe to allow the pipes to go through. No use taking it to a dealer and letting them charge you 2x as much for labor when you could do it yourself and/or with a bud and a case of beer.

It won't void your warranty so long as installing it had Zero connection to the problem. i.e. if your drivers side rear shock absorber fails, they won't void your warranty because you had an intake installed. But again some dealers are more mod friendly than others... I would suggest asking around locally to see who is a good mod friendly dealer and go to them.

Intakes on the 3.7L do give some gains, but without intake + exhaust + tune, you won't see the max gains. The stock airboxes are pretty good on their own, some people have actually gone back to their stock airboxes from aftermarket intakes and seen gains from it. If you're not ready to drop $400-500 for a complete intake, look into just getting the K&N drop ins + the COBB Post MAF tubes, prolly looking at grand total $200-250. And you'll get about the same gains...

As for an Oil Cooler, I would say if you ever plan on running your car harder than a daily driver, if you'll do a search and read through all the threads on it, an Oil Cooler is almost a must. Should have come from factory but thats neither here nor there...

Bonnie - Stage 2, Audio build coming this fall!
R.I.P. Abby 3/29/10 - 3/30/14
XwChriswX is offline   Reply With Quote