View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Phimosis
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2013 911 4S
Phimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond reputePhimosis has a reputation beyond repute

I live in central California. The air temps there are already hitting 105F. My oil temps with spirited driving around town where speeds were slow were up to 265F, but easily hitting 250F every day. I got the Stillen (Setrab) oil cooler for $425 and had Bakersfield Nissan install it, charging me 4 hours @ $90/hour. I had them do an oil change with ester oil at the same time and they included that in the 4 hour labor charge.

Now, my oil temps have maxed at 235F. Usually it goes no higher than 220F. Out doing canyon carving, it still stays at 220F, which is lower than romping on it a few times in traffic. Probably because of more air flow across the cooler at road speeds. I'm guessing that track speeds may keep temps lower than in the city too, even though you're working the engine hard.

They used the Setrab unit on all the Nissan press vehicles and they were running them in the desert at 80+ F in track conditions and no one ever mentioned "limp mode" in the initial reviews of the 370z.

It would be an expensive and painful mistake to find out the Setrab unit is deficient for track use by installing it. If anyone with a Setrab unit has had to go to limp mode at the track, please tell us!
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote