View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Modshack
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Sport
Modshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond reputeModshack has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDGR12 View Post
I've never tried double-clutching as it seem like it's more work than the heel-toe. But can't you just blip the throttle holding down the clutch, then make the downshift?
As Imag pointed out above, double clutching was a technique developed before gearboxes and syncros became as robust and as good as they are now. My first car, an MGA, was almost impossible to downshift without using this technique. After a string of English cars, the habit became ingrained out of necessity. I rebuilt that trans several times, mostly to refresh the syncros. For many of us (older guys!) it is second nature and requires some retraining to stop doing it (ala SRM). You can just blip the throttle (as SRM does) but it does not smooth the gear engagement and reduce the strain on the syncros, it just matches the engine speed as the clutch is released..

Steal my car! (SOLD)...Now Porsche Cayman S
Oil Cooler DIY: Here!

Last edited by Modshack; 05-27-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote