View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #206 (permalink)
VCuomo
Track Member

Drives: BMW 335i Sport
VCuomo will become famous soon enoughVCuomo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
So much misinformation in this thread. No piston rings take THOUSANDS of miles to break in, at least that should never be the case. With an OEM engine that has plateau-honed cylinder walls and pre-lapped piston rings, your rings and cylinder walls will break in within a matter of seconds. Really all you're doing in the first couple hundred miles is ensuring the peaks of the oiling cross hatch are flattened all the way (the plateau honing process gets most of this done) and that all of the valleys are cleaned out.

If you're having oil consumption past 1000 miles or so, there is likely something wrong that will rear its ugly head later. An engine has only so much "time" for a proper break-in to occur - after that window, your cylinder walls will likely be permanently glazed to some extent.

OEM-recommended break-in procedure is just CYA on their part.

That said, who knows where the root cause of the oil consumption problem on the VHR lies... Nissan will likely never admit to their fault. But I don't understand the point of a bunch of people who have probably never even touched the inside of an engine throwing around a bunch of conjecture. I'm fine if a bunch of experienced engine builders and tuners like myself want to have an intelligent, experience-based discussion proposing what the root cause might be, but what's going on in all of these oil recommendation and oil consumption threads is just asinine.
What?!? How dare you be sensible! My God man, this is the Internet after all!!! You can't expect the voice of reason to carry the day - that will never do!

VCuomo is offline   Reply With Quote