View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
JB1
Track Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z sold
JB1 has a spectacular aura aboutJB1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Service intervall US: 3750 miles, Europe: 9.000 miles?!?!

Why is it that the recommended service interval for the 370Z in the the US is 3750 miles (schedule 1) and in Europe 9,000 miles/15,000km?

Same engine, same oil, so what's the difference?

It looks like the auto (service) industry here in the US has done a great job in making a lot of people believe that you need to change your oil every 3,000 miles.

So, is that the only difference between the US and Europe, marketing? Does Nissan Europe recommend synthetic oil instead or regular oil, are Europeans cheap, do Americans beat on their cars more then Europeans?

I have to admit, I am biased, I grew up in Europe and am used to doing oil changes every 15,000km, so I don't buy into the "change oil every 3,000 miles". Besides this, through my work I have talked to a lot of development engineers at a number of major automobile manufacturers and all agree that the 3,000 oil change interval is overkill.
Black Fangs // Black rear Valance // Berk CBE // COBB post MAF tubes // K&N drop in filters // Setrab Oil Cooler // Stillen Sway bars // Z1 SS brake lines // Stillen brake cooling kit // Harness bar //
JB1 is offline   Reply With Quote