View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
AP - Chris_B
Base Member

Drives: Many
AP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Thanks for the input. Given my inherent laziness and loathing of doing repeated tasks, I'm going to leave them baked. If a piston seizes, it will be my motivation to get an AP Racing 6-pot BBK. If brake dust/grime gets into the seal, do you develop a leak or just get $hit in the brake fluid?

Is this something that frequently happens to any brake kit though?
You may develop a leak in time. Or enough gunk could eventually get in there to seize a piston. The longer term issue is corrosion from water, salt, etc. Once corroded, you'll be replacing either the pistons or the entire caliper.

The better brake kits use seal materials that are much better than the typical OE's use. In fact, the materials used in the current AP Racing brake systems have the same temperature profile as the full-on racing seals of just 5-6 years ago.
AP - Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote