View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #571 (permalink)
SoCal 370Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Answers
SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbomb View Post
Revs are an issue with oil temp as well. If the engine is pushed towards the redline two things happen, more windage and churning of the oil in the crankcase, this produces heat and more oil being pumped to the top of the motor, less in the sump so a small quantitiy of oil being pumped through the engine over and over. This cause the oil to gain heat. There can be as much as 3 quarts of oil not in the pan due to this at high RPM under some conditions. So at 6000 rpm you might have ok temps but at over 7000 no.

Thats why guys that are autocrossing in short spurt are seeing high oil temps.
I suspected that we could use more oil in the sump given the other heating concerns. I was bit surprised to learn how little oil the 370Z takes as I was expecting at least six (6) quarts. My belief is that both a larger sump and an oil cooler make this engine a better setup.