View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #569 (permalink)
smartbomb
Banned

Drives: 300ZXTT, 350Z, 200SX
smartbomb is on a distinguished road

I wonder what the conditions for warraty denial with a cooler were? There must be other mitagating factors, such as documented track driving or racing which might void the warranty I would think. It would be a bad legal case, Nissan Motorsports, a department within Nissan North America's marketing department sells a cooler, I belive these coolers are being installed on press cars and even given to Edmonds.com where they write about it. If my warranty was denied solely for having an oil cooler I would bring this up, plus mention the magnerson-moss warranty law.

As far as Nissan doing something about it, Nissan won't unless there is a trend in the warranty rate for engines damaged by excess temperature. Nissan wataches these things like a hawk. However once the trend is noticed, Nissan will study the data and ask field people to collect more data so they can come to a logical and undeniable conclusion of what the root cause of the engine failure is. For all of this investigation to happen takes time. For instance it took Nissan over a year to recognize the problem, collect data, and engineer a solution for the serious and costly oil burning issues that various engines had a few years ago. I don't think oil temps are going to cause much engine failure in the 370Z because limp mode will protect the engine from its owner. Limp mode is an inconveniance to the owner and creates bad buzz on the internet but it saves the engine. There is plenty of bad will going around on the internet about oil temps but that probably won't make a business case enough to add an expensive oil cooler to a car marketed to a cost sensitive customer that is selling poorly.

As far as an oil cooler overcooling the oil, it is bad for the oil to be under 170-180 degrees a lot, not so much for lubrication issues but the water vapor entrapped in the oil won't vaporize and will be homogented in the oil. This combines with some of the stuff in exhaust by-products found in blowby and creates acids which are bad for bearings and other things.

The oils additive package neutralizes these for a while until they become depleted. Thats why short-hop stop and go driving is considered severe duty and has an acellerated oil change interval in most owners manuals.

We have observed in california in our mild climate that the minimal oil temp is 170-180 with a cooler. Other people in cooler climates will probably get lower temps and a thermostat might be a good idea. Mocal makes a thermostat that is easily adapted to exsisting oil coolers.

Or change your oil frequently.

Last edited by smartbomb; 05-26-2009 at 01:58 PM.