View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
-EAD-
Base Member

Drives: Porsche Cayman S
-EAD- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost View Post
I drove a couple of the ones you drove, and also drove the hardtop solstice.
I would like to heard more about not being a bmw person
Well, from the moment I stepped in the dealership there was an air of pretentiousness that I didn't feel from any other dealership. My poor little Saturn was by far the least spectacular vehicle on the lot of those looking at cars...(A SAAB, Infiniti, couple of Lexus, other BMW's and a Tahoe were also looking)... one couple looking at cars actually scoffed at my saturn when I got out of the car, and I got a feeling that the person who greeted me didn't exactly appreciate that I had parked it right out in front.

The Sales guy made a comment that I was way past due for an upgrade and about to step into the world of a real automobiles. While waiting for him to copy my DL and get keys, I made small talk with a few other younger (under 35) people looking at cars... All of them gave an impression that they had now made it in the world and everyone would know it now that they would have a BMW.

The cars drove great! Like they should... but honestly both felt to like I was driving a full size sedan, not a zippy sports car. The interior, though nice, also gave me the feeling of my dads full size Mercedes SEC.

This is not to say that the BMW's didn't have get up and go or excellent handling... they did, but it was in a way that felt over refined to me and lacked the excitement I am looking for.

While talking with the sales guy during the drives the conversation was much different than what I dealt with at any other dealership. A focus on what I did for work and the impression the car would have... there was definitely a lack of enthusiasm when I talked about what I do... I guess I was supposed to say lawyer or doctor or investment banker.

Also a focus on their maintenance program, primarily oil changes and tire rotations... both of which I've managed for a decade & a half now and didn't realize were such a pain to keep up with.

Another interesting note. Contrary to my previous belief, BMW's do come equipped with turn signals... and its not an optional accessory, they come stock. Even so, during my test drives... I actually felt myself being compelled not to use them.

The whole experience reminded me when I watched the musical "Cats"... I'm not a "cat person" and when it was all said and done, I just didn't get it.

All in all BMW's are nice/probably even great cars... but I just didn't get "IT"... so I guess I'm neither a cat or BMW person.

Last edited by -EAD-; 05-25-2009 at 10:59 PM.
-EAD- is offline   Reply With Quote