View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #88 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cames4 View Post
Along with all of the obvious important elements i.e. speed, handling, interior, looks, etc I also gave careful consideration to long term costs (out 5-7 years). I hate to beat down an American industry that has already been slapped around for years but I still have not seen the level of improvement in US cars that is possible and is expected. I was very disappointed in the US cars I reviewed in terms of "fit and finish", fast depreciation, and expected maint. costs (as compared to the industry average). I am not proud to say this but I have not owned an American car since 1992 because of quality concerns.

I gotta be honest, many of the American cars out now are just as nice, if not nicer, than the Japanese or European competitors. This is partially due to American manufacturers stepping it up, and also due to a drop in quality in imports. People that continually parrot the belief that imports are superior in that regard are generally mislead. My the road noise and creaks in the Z are worse than most American cars. The new Civics and Sentras and what-not have tons of funky noises and problems.

You can ask most of the guys that have made the switch to the stang how they feel-- I think the stang is actually put together better. The Z06's that I have been in felt to have better interior quality (in terms of build) than the Z, just as an aside.

As far as the original question--I think you've just got to drive them and see what speaks to you. The best car on paper isn't always the best car for you.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote