View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
SiXK
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z / 91 300ZXTT
SiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Tam I am View Post
In 1995 sticker on my TT was $45,000. Quite a bit more than this one 15 years later. It was built to a higher standard. Easily the best car I've ever owned.
As far as maintenance, I had few problems. A water pump which I combined with the 60,000 service and all new belts just as a preventative while they were in there. A broken vacuum line twice and a knock sensor. This was my DD for nearly 15 years, and the 370 in the first 4 months has already had more time in the shop than the 300. I long for my old dependable beauty. T top's too.
I'm with you. The build quality of the 300ZX was great. I've had mine 14 years with only a leaky power steering hose and a starter giving me issues over that time.

However, when buying one be thorough. Maintenance can be pricey. At 20 years old the wiring harness may start to become brittle (mine did) and that requires pulling the motor to change. I am in that process now (I take my time, lol) and the upgrades I am doing, by choice, in this project - turbos, injectors, fuel rails, intercoolers - is running upwards of $4000. The turbos and injectors were both at end of life, I would have had to replace them soon.

The result is the car will be fantastic, but I still need a repaint and a new front bumper cover and a few other items to get it completely restored. All that on a car I have owned for 14 years, driven regularly (90,000 miles on car) and kept in a garage. If you buy one I can only imagine the potential maintenance you may have to do. Be diligent!

That being said, some people have 300ZXTT's for sale in great condition. Expect to pay at least $16-$20K for one of those.

Its BY FAR the best car I have ever owned, and I've had 5 Z's.

I say do it!

Last edited by SiXK; 10-27-2010 at 08:25 AM.
SiXK is offline   Reply With Quote