View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
frost
Retired admin

Drives: Your Wife Crazy
frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman71 View Post
I understand that bigger breaks (rotors and pads) stop a given car better than smaller breaks. What I don't understand is why. It seems to me that breaking is more about friction between the tire and the road. As long as a small break setup can squeeze the rotor hard enough to stop the wheel rotating (causing the tire to skid) then it seems that should be good enough. A bigger break gains no advantage from being able to squeeze harder.

I do think that larger breaks might give you more control of how hard the breaks squeeze allowing you better control over breaking force without locking up the wheels. Is this the difference?

My thoughts above don't take into account heat build-up during breaking or ABS. I realize bigger breaks would spread the heat out more and fade less and I don't really know what effects ABS might have.

First off, it's "brakes," not "breaks."

"It seems to me that breaking is more about friction between the tire and the road" That's not correct. Braking is about the friction between the brake pad and rotor. Therefore, bigger brakes -> more surface area -> more friction = better stopping ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooftop View Post
<insert snarky, slightly condescending frost joke>

Last edited by frost; 10-25-2010 at 10:32 PM.
frost is offline   Reply With Quote