View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

I know on the JDM version there is a side view camera option as well as the rear view camera. DeLRo posted some screen shots of how to get to this diagnostic menu, and within that menu allows you to choose 'no camera', rear view camera' or rear and side view camera, so i presume that it is possible. we've got a bunch of people working on getting hte rear view camera for us 09 and 10 guys set in motion, and i know i would, and i assume some others would definitely be interested in getting the side view option as well.

the instructions below are for a 2010, so i'm not sure if you can access the same menu on the '09s. are you an 09 or 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
I don't feel a need for a back-up camera. I do, however, feel side-looking cameras would be very useful. I cannot see if a car is coming when I am backing out of a parking space, until I am way out into the aisle. The rear pillars just completely block the view. Anyone else have this paranoia that they're at risk when backing out of a parking space? Anyone tried side-firing camera(s)? Anyone know of a compact switch to allow selection of the (left-looking, right-looking) cameras (baseband video, I presume?)?
do you have an '09 or '10. i know in the JDM camera, from some of the spyshots (i'm looking for them now) you could view the side and rearview cameras. There is a diagnostic menu here: which allows you to set the car to use a rear view camera. one of hte options is
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLRo View Post
Sorry for the late response Jeffblue. I didn't see the first time you asked. PontualZ is correct for the most part. Although I think you can do it with the starter in the ON position or with the engine running. Turn off your radio, hold down setting button and turn volume control counter-clockwise about 3-4 full turns until the screen changes. You will be taken to a diagnostics screen where you can access numerous features.

Here are the camera adjustments....

Once you make changes just turn your radio back on and the system will reboot with the new settings.
If you turned the camera settings to on, then after you reboot and shift into reverse you will see this screen.

I'm currently working with someone who is assisting me in creating a harness to plug in without any mods to the current wiring. As soon as I test it I will get a DIY going and talk to the guy to see if he's interested in producing a few kits to make it easier on everyone. From the work I've seen it'll be as good as OEM with no additional drilling, wiring, or soldering. Just plug-n-play and quite possibly for 1/2 the $$$ from the factory.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote