View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
RiCharlie
Track Member

Drives: 370 Touring Spt A/t
RiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really niceRiCharlie is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
Well that'd be one step into jpeg rather than being taken as a jpeg, saved as a jpeg, and posted and compressed again as a jpeg. The fewer steps of compression, the better. Yeah it'd be cool to be in a magazine, but there are far better photographers an pictures than mine!

Yeah if I could go back in time, I'd set the iso to 100 instead of auto. I got the camera and the excitement to get out and shoot sorta blinded me!
Well your "three" compression steps are really one. Taking and saving are one process and posting does not require further compression if it was done correctly the first time.

I would much tend to believe the problem was caused by your use of high iso which is not JPEG compression but internal camera noise amplified. Using high ISO also decreases dynamic range..

My personal feeling is that shooting in RAW is a needless waste of time UNLESS you are shooting in conditions which might require extensive corrections due to camera meter error. In that case you can use RAW or bracket your exposures. I certainly dont like all the extra fiddling around with the RAW adjustments and I challenge any one to tell me they can tell the difference between a properly exposed JPEG and a RAW file on any computer monitor or even an 8 x 10 print. I use a NIkon D 90 with a Nikor 18-200 mm lens.

Last edited by RiCharlie; 10-24-2010 at 09:53 AM.
RiCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote