View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
The Weapon
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z Tour/Sport Blk
The Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weapon has a reputation beyond repute

I started installing my HFC technically yesterday. If you some time and want to ease some frusteration with those dreaded top 2 bolts that connect the HFC>Exhaust Manifold here's a technique I used that made it seem not as difficult to remove. Don't get me wrong they are on their tight..but it didn't seem as bad.

1. Sprayed WD40 on all the bolts. Heated up the car. Let the car cool over night. Sprayed it again, then removed.

I don't know if driving the car after i sprayed had anything to do with making it easier but I didn't break any tools or strip any bolts.

I used 1/2 drivers with 14MM 6PT socket to reduce the chance of stripping the bolt. I used a 20 inch/10inch extension bar with the joint socket and a huge breaker bar. The hardest bolt i had a hard time with was on the bottom bolt. The steering column seems to be in the way. I decided it was easier to feed the breaker bar through the side next to the tire.

Got all the bolts off and removed the cats in about an hour but couldn't have done it without this write up. Thank you!

Last edited by The Weapon; 05-25-2009 at 04:52 PM.
The Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote