View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #65 (permalink)
DIGItonium
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34-TT 6MT
DIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsteve View Post
As one of the graphs displayed showed, this is all about voltage. At WOT there is about 5 volts, half 2.5 volts etc. So what Im thinking is the booster just adds more voltage sooner so it is imulating WOT at half throttle.
Pretty much. I'm assuming the pedal has a potentiometer whose reference voltages vary from 0-5V. The response should be linear with pedal travel. SB pretty much alters this "linear" voltage curve with one that is adjusted with a quicker curve. The ECU is programmed with its own throttle control map that takes these reference voltage levels and apply throttle control according to numerous factors (emission, engine, environmental, safety, etc.).

With cars being so "smart" nowadays with practically full computer controls, the ECU tries to operate the engine in a manner that is the most efficient.

It's all within the programming of the system. I'm pretty sure a 3.7L engine with high compression is capable of producing more low end torque, but at the expense of other factors. It's pretty unfortunate, but I'm pretty sure that's how we get the extra 1 MPG despite having more power.

So depending on these factors, our sense of 80% pedal travel and expecting 80% throttle won't be the same all the time.

Last edited by DIGItonium; 10-21-2010 at 07:10 AM.