Thread: my Z broke down
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
miguez
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '04 Cavalier
miguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond repute

OK. The "limp" mode shumby is talking about is activated when the oil temperature rises above just about 270ºF. The ECU will first limit your RPM to 5,500. Then, if the overheat continues or gets worse, to a lower RPM (I believe 3,000). So it is easy to check and see if you were in limp mode.

One important thing to understand is that the ECU will give you back full revs after the car cools down, but apparently you have to turn the car full off (ignition), then back on to reset this limp mode.

After saying all this, from your description, it does not sound like limp mode, since you mention the car was barely moving. Any strange noises coming from the transmission as the car struggled to move? Also, did you smell the fluid that was spilling? Finally, you say the left door was covered in this fluid. I don't quite understand where this was being sprayed from to cover the door?

Hang in there, we'll solve this!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote