View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #33 (permalink)
shadoquad
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: .
shadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffblue View Post
I agree. Not to generalize, but most of the marketing majors in my school were ditsy girls and gay guys. Management was the other major that kind of annoyed me. I think a good manager, first and foremost, has to know a lot about the field in which they are a manager. you can know all the 3 letter management jargon in the world, if you don't know anything about Steel, you won't be a good manager in a steel manufacturing company. Same thing with marketing. While there is definitely something to be said for ad agencies etc which come up with brilliant ideas of how to sell a product, i think a good product sells itself. Of course, a good product will sell more with good marketing, but if you paint turd gold, its still turd. and the people i met in those majors had this attitude of like 'oh it doesn't matter if i don't know anything about the specific field i plan to enter or anything about its products, i'm a hot shot, i can sell/manage anything.

finance<3
Managers have to be somewhat technical, but also know how to manage people properly and leverage their available talent pool. I've had managers who do one well but fail spectacularly at the other. And most of the ones I've had that do both well either get burnt out by it or get stabbed in the back by one of their "colleagues".
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote