View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #29 (permalink)
bullet1
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Black - Touring
bullet1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongMan View Post
I've heard so many problems from sti and evo owners. Although they have a fast car, the have to deal with so many issues with the car. Like I've said to many people, sti and evo's are good to admire but not to own. Too many problems to deal with. You hear about these evo's and sti's making huge power, but you don't hear about the owners pulling their hair out dealing with the issues and maintenance.
Interesting. I've owned a 2000 2.5RS that was traded in for a 2004 WRX that had exactly zero issues going up to stage 2 AP, that was traded in for a 2007 STi that had exactly zero issues going to stage 2 AP as well. My wife also had a WRX and an STi and both of those were perfect as well as far as maintenace went (also modded). The only problems STi and EVO owners get from my experience is when they try and push the stock parts too far. Like try and push 24lbs of boost through a stock STi and sure, you might run into problems. That should not count against the car though.

I went from the STi to an IS350 because I wanted a more refined car with a little more luxury and not such a harsh ride. While I never regretted the purchase, I truely missed the 6spd and the rush of the Sti in stage 2 form. I sold the IS350 outright and started looking at the Z. Finally landed one and love it. It is quite a different driving experience from the STi. The STi is much easier to get big HP out of, but the Z IMO is more fun. The gearbox stock for stock is a lot nicer and more direct in the Z and it feels like it handles much much better (probably just due to the size of the car and how it feels). Everyone that gets in the Z with me comments on how well it handles.

So ultimately it comes down to what you want out of your car. If you want a very quick sedan that you can haul 4 people, and mod the heck out of and make quite a bit of power, keep the STi. If you want a sports car that is a definite looker on the road and is fairly quick, not as receptive to mods, but does everything pretty well and is more refined than the STi... go with the Z.

to

I really liked the look of my STi after doing a few subtle modifications, but the Z looks soo much better. Good luck in whatever you do.
bullet1 is offline   Reply With Quote