View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLion View Post
I don't really believe in ghosts, but last night something inexplicable occurred. My wife and I were driving home from dining out (and we were both cold sober). Neither of us had our hands anywhere near the console or dash. My hands were at 10 and 2 on the wheel, and hers were on her iPhone.

Suddenly, we heard a low "beep" and the audio came on playing my iPod which is connected to the USB port. I am driving a 2010 touring with sport and nav packages. I have a NavTool backup camera controller installed. It just interrupts the video feed to the nav, has no control over any other activity.

Earlier in the evening I was listening to FM radio, so if the audio just came on by itself, it would be playing FM. But in this case it switched to AUX and resumed play on the iPod.

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience. I am a software engineer / architect. So I have some idea how stuff works. The beep suggested to me that some signal told the audio system to go on and play AUX. I could make this happen the usual way with audio off, by pressing the AUX button on the radio. But no one pushed that button.

All I can think of is that there is some kind of noise in the CAN or Navi/audio that fooled the computer into thinking the AUX button was pressed. I really can't go to the dealer with this, since he will insist on seeing the problem reproduced. My only hope is to see if others have also experienced this.

No this is not a joke for Halloween. It's for real and potentially a safety hazard. If the CAN was responsible, it means there is some kind of noise in the CAN and next time the problem could be unintended acceleration or some engine malfunction.

Any serious thoughts?
GM isn't the only one who has electrical problems apparently.

No, I don't belive in the supernatural.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote