View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
JapanLio
Base Member

Drives: 12' PW 6MT Trg/Spt
JapanLio is on a distinguished road
Angry [CA] Trying to buy a 370z : Bad experience with VIN JN1AZ44E59M402001

Hi,

I'll present myself later in this forum because I still dont have a 370z, but I wanted to tell you the really bad experience I had today. Sorry if it's a little too long to read, but I think it worth it.

I am from San Jose, NorCal, Bay area, and I am looking to buy a 370z. I though I found THE good one, but it was in SoCal. Black one, sport package, navigation, less than 10k miles, 1 owner, clean carfax, sold by a dealership, everything seemed perfect.
So today I went to SoCal to see it and buy it... because the car was sold by a dealership who told me that the car has been inspected was ok, I was really hapy and confident.

When I arrived, I saw it... really beautiful with his magnetic black color and 19' sport wheels. The front lip is a little damaged, but the dealer told that already by email, and because of the car is low, it was not a major issue. My first surprise was when I asked for the navigation documentation and EVERYTHING that should come with the car (spare key, all the book set, owner manual, etc...). The seller answered me that everything was here (!!) and only 1 key + the ipod cable was given when they traded in the car... this was the FIRST bad surprise, for a 2009 car with less than 10k miles and 1 owner, this is really odd ! After a quick look-around, I noticed immediately that the exhaust was not the factory one, I asked him again (because I dit it already by email) and he does know if the exhaust was stock or not... on the tip was written "Fast Intentions", no doubt about that, this is not from factory

Then I went for the test drive, and I heard immediately some noise from the gearbox, but nothing important, and because I read that the 370z is a noisy one, I did not pay too much attention...everything was ok, the car was speed and responsive, and when I tried to engage the 6th gear, it was grinding. After stopping the car, I tried again, engine on, and the 6th was grinding 3 times over 4, definitely this is not normal.

Finally we entered inside the shop, and he called Nissan to get information on the gearbox. He answered me after few minutes that the gearbox grinding is normal and many customers have already complain about that, there is nothing to be afraid... I am not an expert in sport car, but I had enough car in the past to know when a gear is hard to engage and when a synchro is starting to fail. I decided to go to the closest Nissan dealership (the one I was in was not a Nissan professional) and ask for a pre-purchase inspection.

After 1 hour, the result was there :
- gearbox has to be replaced (problem found on 2nd and 6th gear), covered by the warranty, but not the labor to remove the aftermarket exhaust
- aftermarket exhaust is dented on the bottom and a hole is present on the left muffler
- all the 4 rotors are glazed / cracked and need to be replaced

I decided to cancel the deal and not buy this car... even if the gearbox replacement would have been covered by the manufacturer warranty, that's is definitely not the car I want to buy and gamble on the future of car that has been hardly driven / abused in the beginning of its life.

So I flew back to San Jose, without any car, and really upset about this experience...

Sorry for my english and if it was too long, but I think I had to warn you about this car, and if you need more details on dealership / location of this one, dont hesitate to send me a PM.
JapanLio is offline   Reply With Quote