View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
antennahead
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '07 Z4 "M" Roadster
antennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclemeaty View Post
I run PPI Powerclass series amps in my 370z. Youve got to watch out for amps of today and of yesteryear - Just like today there were some bad/weak amps all over the shelves in the 1990s. There are a decent number of older amps that rocked and still rock...

Basically, all the 90s brought were Class-AB and none of this hyped Class-D 10,000w BS. yes they draw more power and likely need 4Ga at eh minimum. The best amps were usually reated conservatively, IE no more than about 100w per channel at a very very clean and conservative level. Many of which could perform much higher than what they were rated.

I once had a PPI Powerclass PC1400 (Or PC1800 for Chrome series) which was 400x1 @ 4Ohms RMS, stable down to 2Ohms, but I pused it down to 1.3Ohms. It routinely poped 100Amp fuses and likely put out closer to 1200W rms clean AB power.

My "hit" list of amps from the 90s:
Should be noted that the majority of these amps were Made in the USA

PPI Art (1995 era)
PPI Powerclass (Dark Grey or Silver/Chrome smooth case) (1996 to 2002)
Hifonics series before XI that were made by ZedAudio (Thor, Boltar, Zeus, Saturn, Vulcan) (1990 thru 1994)
Lanzar Amps (Made by ZedAudio??)
Zed Audio amps - Really anything made by them is top notch.
Rockford back from the learly to late 90s - They looked like Grenades. I hear the cappless ones from the early 90s were the better. (Any of these Made in the USA are good)
SoundStream amps (1993-1997)
Planet Audio amps no later than about 1998 (Made by Zed Audio)
Orion HCCA class amps (1999-2002ish)

Basically, most of these amps I've listed would have retailed for about $4-500 back in the day. Of course the 90s did bring a lot of general use $200 amps which are now not worth much at all.

By todays standards, a $500 amp of today could likely outperform a $500 amp from the 90s. Where I love the 1990s amps is in their street cost today. You can buy one for dimes on the dollar and really get a huge punch for your dollar. I've spent only $150 on 750w worth of PPI amps and have more clean power watts than I know what to do with. If I had bought these amps back in the 90s brand new I would have spent from about $900. If I bought a new amp today for $150 then I would not have bragging rights, quality, workmanship, longevity, or nostalgia.

I still have a Soundstream D200II in storage, works perfectly, left over from my competition days (SQ all the way ) Maybe I should sell it