View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #51 (permalink)
Zcon2011
Base Member

Drives: Spl311, S30,S130 Z32
Zcon2011 is on a distinguished road

Every Zcon has had and will have challenges, and volunteers who do the best for the Z community with what they have. I witnessed the work and the issues that were a part of 2010, and I don't know anyone who could have done a better job of trying to avoid issues, and reacting to them when they occurred than Chris, Chris, Todd, Bob, and their team did.

Robert is right it is about the people. Without people passionate enough to act on their own and volunteer to enable the enjoyment of others, there would be no Conventions.

I know how difficult turning down a opportunity to have hundreds of Z friends come visit you had to have been.
I also know difficult it is to host a convention-having volunteered at three of the last four. That said, I have to admit I could not have pulled off what Chris Karl, Chris Wenzell, Todd Wagoner, and Bob Bosse did-they are from Ohio, Florida, Virginia, and Texas. Hosting a convention within a couple of miles of home is challenging enough, but these four guys took on a long distance convention in the midst of their already in place daily lives, and added hundreds and hundreds of miles between each other (and the venue) and through their efforts made it the largest convention by far!

I was the second person registered on line for 2010(see my avitar), I had indicated on registration I wanted to volunteer, and when I saw the registration challenge my Z friends were facing, I asked if I could help more, immediately, and how. After getting a "yes" I got my wife and monsters situated in the hotel room and told them I would see them when the day was over. That was about 3pm, I registered sometime after 2am the next morning, after we got everyone in line taken care of-and let me say Chris, Todd, and Bob were right there the whole time-well before I stopped in-and well past when I left. They did everything in their power to take care of the issues with registration right then and there, and didn't leave until everyone was taken care of and a plan was in place for the next day There was only one feeling in the room and it was the commitment to focus on the task at hand and get Everyone registered as quickly and efficiently as possible-given the circumstances of that day that is exactly what they did.
The unintentional situation surrounding the trophy issue a good lesson as well.

While there were issues with Zcon 2010, they have been thoroughly detailed, have a resolution in progress, and all involved have apologized for and learned from them.

William Stokes
Convention Chairman, ZCON 2011
President, Coastal Z Club of Savannah, Ga.
Proud Supporter of the Datsun Heritage Museum
Z enthusiast since 1971 owner since 1982

Last edited by Zcon2011; 10-14-2010 at 03:58 PM.