View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #2067 (permalink)
tomnavone
Track Member

Drives: Supercharged 370z
tomnavone is a jewel in the roughtomnavone is a jewel in the roughtomnavone is a jewel in the roughtomnavone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimosis View Post
Based on the timing of your comment, I'm assuming it was in response to my post. If it is, you've misunderstood what I'm saying. The 370z has a problem with fuel starvation. It's in the gas tank design and can be fixed with an aftermarket surge tank. I was posting because fuel starvation is worse when you're making 500 hp rather than 333 hp. That, and making the 500 hp with 9 psi of boost will for sure give you detonation when the mixture goes lean because the fuel pump can't deliver enough fuel.

My point was that I got fuel starvation at 6/16 dots on the fuel gauge. Granted, I was pulling 1g lat acceleration on an off camber turn, bit it still happened.

If you get a twin turbo setup that makes even more power, this problem will be even worse.

I'm perfectly happy with my stillen supercher. I'm getting 329 lb/ft torque and 422 whp. It runs perfectly and is scary fast. Downshift from 6 to 3rd at 70 mph on the freeway and it starts spinning. From a 5 mph roll in first, open the throttle and it starts to spin around 3500 rpm, then just bounces off the rev limiter as the boost continues to build. Even with full coil over suspension that's set harsh enough that I get headaches on freeway trips, the suspension feels limp and mushy with way too much squat when I'm on the throttle in 1st-3rd gears. Basically, the engine is overpowering the suspension - and even motor mounts or driveline. When I come off the power to shift, I can feel the deivetrain "unwind". It's creepy and I worry that somethings's going to break. It never felt like that before the supercharger.

Likewise, I can't imagine owning a 370 without FI. I used to think the 370 was gutless even with full bolt ons and was getting spanked by stock camaros. Not anymore. The 370 is now a truely fast car.

As far as shying away from Stillen is concerned, they are the only company that has multiple forum members that are making over 400 whp in a 370z and they are the only company that has multiple forum members that have working cars and have posted dyno results. So for all the hoopla about how bad Stillen is and how good the competition is, Stillen is far and away the points leader for the 2010 season.
You are running a custom tune correct? Not the stillen locked carb tune?