View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
rj45
Base Member

Drives: 40th Anniversary Z
rj45 is on a distinguished road

I went from an '08 STi to the Z. I liked the STi, but the engine's hesitations and flat spots always bothered me. Mine was stock, but many with tunes still had the problem (though less so).

The Z is a totally different car. The Subaru was decent quality in terms of fit-and-finish/solid feel, but the 370 is definitely a step up. The interior is a sharper design and its materials are noticeably better, and the chassis is near billet solid...no creaks or rattles.

The Z's motor, while not offering the STi's (marginal) turbo rush, is a decent unit. At least it pulls cleanly, unlike the STi's motor. It's got decent torque and a somewhat lively top end, though it does have some vibration over 5K. Plus, it doesn't exactly sing like an exotic...at least inside the car, that is. It sounds pretty good outside.

Both cars handle well, but I prefer the Z's handling. It grips like mad and feels very sure-footed. It rides well, too. It also understeers less than the STi.

The shifter is good, though a tad light for my taste. The clutch is a bit of a sore spot...it has little feel, an abrupt engagement and the pedal it too light, and it chatters when pulling away. Smooth shifts are not impossible, but they're more of a challenge than they should be.

Stock Zs run low-to-mid 13s in the quarter and trap about 105 mph. Can they be made quicker? Sure, but it's not as easy as a factory turbo car. I'm sure a tune and bolt-ons will improve its times, but if you really want a noticeable seat-of-the-pants improvement you'll need forced induction, and that's a decent amount of coin.

Last edited by rj45; 10-12-2010 at 08:36 AM.
rj45 is offline   Reply With Quote