View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
SiXK
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z / 91 300ZXTT
SiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond reputeSiXK has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few thoughts on the subject. I will go ahead and state my displeasure with the current administration. I did not vote for this guy.

Its not just the cafe standards I am worried about, its the desire to manipulate Americans into buying small, green cars. In that respect new CAFE standards may only be step #1 for these guys.

We have heard that they may have cash incentive programs to persuade people to trade in their older cars. why would people want to do that if they are happy with their, oh, lets say 2009 370Z?

Probably because it will become very expensive to drive other cars. The dems favor higher gas prices. Gore said one time he wished gas was $5 a gallon so people would stop buying SUVs. If Govt Motors (GM) and others start building econo cars, it would not surprise me to see gas taxes go up to make driving a car like the 370 more expensive. But I believe the biggest expense may be emissions. Obamas standards call for a 30% reduction. If your car does not meet that I am sure there will be carbon taxes to pay (fines). No current cars meet that standard.

They are going to try and make it a difficult financial decision to drive a sports car or SUV.

I have heard a few things that come from good sources. If anyone doesn't believe it thats not a problem. I can't produce any links or documents to prove what I know.

The Tesla car does not perform as Tesla says it performs.
The Tesla car will cost more to produce than Tesla says it will cost.
The Tesla car does not have the range that Tesla says it has.

There are other concerns about their internal bookkeeping, and not of the "oops, they made a small mistake" variety, much more serious. just what I am hearing.

The electric car still needs a breakthrough before it will be viable.

back to the CAFE standards

Nothing these guys are doing is irreversible. The next President can relax or eliminate much of this.

IMO If you want to eliminate the need for foreign oil - drill our own.

IMO If you want the car companies to survive - let the market dictate what they build and sell.

I also think Global warming is a myth, so now a good percentage of you can hate me now.