View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
Dsphoto
Base Member

Drives: 10 BC 370ZR S/T M6
Dsphoto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
For up close shots of wheels, emblems, interior shots, what would the best choice of lens be, a zoom or full frame, macro lens? I definitely want a 70-200, but I also would like a dedicated lense for the shots I mentioned before. What would you recommend that won't break the bank?
Macro would be best but it is expensive and not as versatile. The 70-200f4 L along with an extension tube would be the most versatile. The now 100 macro L IS is a KILLER lens but, as I said, it is expensive. An extension tube will allow you to focus closer. The primary benifit of the macro designs are sharpness and flat field. You don't need flat field as you are shooting 3d subjects and I think the 70-200f4L with a tube will be plenty sharp.

Here are the 90TSE (tilt/shift) shots. The car is dirty, washed it this evening (I intend to do some beauty shots tomorrow morning) and the images have only been cropped and sized in photoshop. All shots were taken with a Canon 5D Mark II, EF90f2.8TSE lens at f2.8

In the first 5 images note how the DOF changes. I didn't change camera position (didn't use a tripod, these were down and dirty) all I did was change the "tilt" of the lens.

Everything is sharp (tilt down)

This is how a standard lens would look (no tilt)

The top of the engine is very soft (lens tilted up)

Only the front of the car is sharp ("tilt" or really it is a swing left)

ONly the side of the car is sharp ("tilt" or swing right)

In the following image note that you can see my reflection in the fender lip, no adjustment on the lens so it performed like a regular lens. I shot straight on.

On this image I moved the camera to the left and adjusted the shift so I had about the same framing but my reflection is gone. The perspective didn't change.

78 Z1R, '08 ZX10R, 2010 BC Roadster S/T, 6M, Stillen G2 CAI, Invidia CBE, Berk test pipes, Painted headlights (180˚Custom), JDM rear fog, B&M short shifter, Stillen front plate mount, stubby antenna, setrab oil cooler, uprev. 337rwhp 254ft/lb corrected!
Dsphoto is offline   Reply With Quote