View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #128 (permalink)
VCuomo
Track Member

Drives: BMW 335i Sport
VCuomo will become famous soon enoughVCuomo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
How so? I've built full race engines with huge clearances and they've maybe consumed a quart of oil in a 3000 mile interval. We're seeing factory-fresh engines here with tight emissions-and-paper-performance-oriented clearances consuming twice that. How is that acceptable?
I wasn't commenting on how much oil consumption is acceptable - I was commenting on the statement that cars produced over the last 30 years are not supposed to consume any oil in between oil changes. Here's the poster's statement that I was replying to:

Quote:
Because the car isn't supposed to consume oil between changes. At least not in the last 30 years.
That statement is completely untrue. No manufacturer, nor anyone who knows anything about cars produced in the last 5 years (much less 30), will state as fact that cars are not supposed to consume oil between oil changes. Yes, manufacturing tolerances are much better these days than in yesteryear, but not good enough to completely eliminate oil consumption.

No offense, I don't know people's ages here, but I bet that in general it's the "older" crowd (which includes me) that thinks it's laughable that you don't need to check the oil level between oil changes and that it's the "younger" crowd who thinks otherwise (although I could certainly be wrong).

Last edited by VCuomo; 10-09-2010 at 12:02 AM.
VCuomo is offline   Reply With Quote