Thread: RPM Launch?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
The HACK
Base Member

Drives: '06 BMW MZ4 Coupe
The HACK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
Question: About 45 years ago (before good drag tires), we learned to launch a car at about 3000 RPM's using half clutch and maintaining a constant steady RPM level until the tires griped. At that point full clutch and WOT were initiated. When I first got my 350 in August of 02 I went out to my favorite location to see how the car ran out of the hole. I launched the car like I have for all of the years and O’crap…………. The car left great and hard, but the clutch when attempting to engage it completely, it wouldn’t engage all of the way!!! The clutch was just slipping and the car was not gaining speed like it should. That was the last time I attempted to drag race the car from a standing start. Now almost 7 years later I have a new 370. I head out to my favorite location again to see how this car runs out of the hole. It’s O’crap all over again. What gives? Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks
Late model cars are usually saddled with a clutch delay valve to prevent driveline-shock to the system when you dump the clutch. The result is, if you're used to driving a manual from more than 10 years ago, and you drive the same way today on one of the newer manuals with plenty of power and torque, be ready for a very unpleasant surprise.

Get the car up on a lift, look at the end of the hard-line between the clutch slave cylinder and the master cylinder, and you will likely find a small device that's inserted between the lines that prevents the clutch from engaging rapidly.
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote