View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #121 (permalink)
miguez
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '04 Cavalier
miguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond repute

Got my Mitsubishi Outlander kit installed. Kit came as advertised, and I chose the InvisiMask film instead of 3M. Some orange peel, but really not much at all, and it seems pretty much every film from every manufacturer has a certain amount of this.

This was a partial hood (1/3), partial fender (to match where the hood piece ends), and mirrors.

Started the install with the fender piece, which was the easiest of this kit, after watching the instructional video that ship with it. Install is not hard, but requires a little experience. I made a couple of small mistakes on this piece. One was I left a small bubble, which I was able to remove with the syringe. The other was the film is pretty stretchy, and you have to stretch it a bit in some areas due to the curvature of your car. That's fine, but if you try and stretch too much you get small little white lines (stretch marks).

Moved on to the hood piece and it worked great. Ended up with just one bubble which again the syringe removed no problem. The interesting part is as I first laid it on to the wet hood (you use soap and water so the film doesn't stick at first, then squeegee it out), it is clear it is cut a little smaller than what it needs to cover, so you start by fixing the center, then slightly stretching both sides so they reach the left and right sides of the hood.

The mirrors were interesting, as the film is obviously flat when glued to the backing paper it ships in, but the curvature of most mirror housings, including the one in my wife's Mitsu, is curved both in the horizontal and vertical, like a small section of a ball, so the film wants to stay flat while you squeegee it around. It just takes about 5 minutes of continuous squeegeeing and it conforms.

All in all, a good experience. I am going to order and do the bumper next, which will be one level up in difficulty, then will report back.
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote