View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #40 (permalink)
initialgemini
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 FX 35
initialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namir View Post
You have some good advice but you are spreading some common fallacies about workout soreness. I'm assuming by "spilling out" you are referring to the production of lactate as an anaerobic by product of cell metabolism. Lactate is constantly produced by the cells of the body and only rises during strenuous anaerobic activity. Lactate isn't a waste product, it simply allows the cells to anaerobically metabolize carbohydrates to generate energy. Lactate dissipates quickly via the blood stream and is converted back into pyruvate, which is the starting point for the TCA/krebs cycle (aerobic metabolism).

Lactate levels return to normal within a few hours after strenuous exercise. Thus, lactate can't be the culprit of 'muscle soreness' that we feel more than a few hours after a work out. The exact cause isn't completely understood but current explanations suggest that soreness is the result of microtearing in the muscle tissue.

I agree with everything else you said. I personally prefer my post work out shake immediately after a workout, and a meal within an hour of working out.
"Spilling out" was more of a layman's term. For the sake of discussion I was trying to keep it simple lol. But yes you are correct, the soreness is thought to be caused by the the tearing of the muscle tissue. However, this is part of the signal cascade responsible for alerting the body to repair the broken tissue. There are numerous mechanisms that are suspect to facilitate this with numerous literature suggesting all types of methods; however, I think we can go on and on as far what happens at the cell biology level.
initialgemini is offline   Reply With Quote