View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
AK370Z
Administrator

Drives: 09 370Z MB Sports M6
AK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond reputeAK370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY: Nissan 370Z Oil change (AK370Z way) Pictures inside

[Attention Guests (unregistered members): You will not be able to view all the pictures in this thread. Please Register to become a member here. It's FREE and takes less than 30 seconds]

How to change your engine oil in your 370z?

Well, it was time! I simply couldn't drive anymore with the regular oil. Car has almost 36xx miles. It's sunny and 70 degrees out. I decided to change the oil in my Z.

I'm going to list the steps one by one along with pictures. If I miss something or you have question(s), feel free to post in this thread or pm me.

What you'll need?

Redline Synthetic Motor oil (5W 30)
DSC01668 redline 1.jpg DSC01685-redline 2.jpg
Buy Here or Here

K&N Oil filter
DSC01672-kandn.jpg
Buy Here

Magnetic drain plug
Size: M12xP1.25
DSC01679magnet-plug.jpg
Buy Here

FilterMag Oil Filter Magnet

DSC01675-filtermag-1.jpgDSC01676-filtermag-2.jpg
Buy Here

Copper drain plug washer
1102601M02.jpg
Buy from your local Nissan dealer ($1.04)

How to

Step 1
Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.

STEP 2
Then you need to lift your car. You can use blitz ramps (that's what I have used). Once the car is on the lift, turn the engine off.

YouTube - MVI 0576
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcIMRTcjU4s

Quote:
update 05.24.10
Now, I should let you guys know that I DO NOT have the front chin spoiler. But even without it, I found out that I was rubbing the ramp slightly (found some scratched paint under front bumper). So, I went ahead and made these wooden steps to help me clear the ramp. I realized I have make them WAY too thick! I have like 1" clearance now! . Check them out:

Width of the wood: 1.5"

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRpAg1s905o

STEP 3
You need to remove the plastic engine undercover. It's held on by 16 10 mm bolts and 3 clips. Start removing the bolts first. Once you remove all the bolts, the undercover will hang by the clips. Now, remove the clips and you can take the cover off.

STEP 4
Once the cover is off, here's what you'll see. First, remove the oil filler cap (in engine bay). Then, use a wrench to unbolt the drain bolt. You should be able to unscrew the oil filter by hand (at least I was able to). Carefully put the oil catch pan right in between filter and bolt. Draining oil is VERY HOT. Please use caution as you unbolt the drain bolt or filter.

STEP 5
Wipe the engine oil filter mounting surface with a clean rag. Please be VERY careful since the surface is extremely sharp. You'll cut your hand/finger very easily if you don't pay attention. Coat the gasket on the new filter with clean engine oil. Screw in the oil filter clockwise until a slight resistance is felt, then tighten additionally more than 2/3 turn (as per manual 11 to 15 ft-lb). I like tightening by hand. Pic 2 is comparison shot vs OEM filter

STEP 6
Now, install the magnetic drain plug with a new washer. Securely tighten the drain plug with a wrench. Make sure the flat surface of the washer is close to pan and round portion of the crush washer is touching the flat surface of the drain bolt. As per manual, Drain plug tightening torque: 22 to 29 ft-lb

STEP 7
Now, you can install (attach) the FilterMag oil filter magnet to the oil filter. The K&N oil filter diameter is 2.69 in (68 mm). So if you'd like to use filter magnet from another company, you're more than welcome to do so. I personally like FilterMag .

STEP 8
Now, refill engine with RedLine oil and install the oil filler cap securely. With the new oil filter, you will need 5 1/8 quart of engine oil. I simply put 5 quarts first. I usually keep the 1/8 quart to fill later (to get accurate measure on level surface). BTW, Aquafina water bottle nozzle works like a charm! It's perfect fit and it'll stay in place between quart bottle change

STEP 9
Start the engine and check for leakage around the drain plug and the oil filter.Correct as required. Turn the engine off and put the undercover back on. First, Pull the center of the small plastic clip out. Then, hold the engine undercover into position. Insert the clip through the undercover into the hole in the frame, then push the center of the clip in to lock the clip in place. Once you have the clips secured, then install the other bolts that hold the undercover in place. Be careful not to strip the bolts or over-tighten them.

STEP 10

Carefully lower the vehicle and park on a level surface. Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature. Then, turn the engine off and wait more than 15 minutes. Check the oil level with the dipstick. Add engine oil if necessary (usually that 1/8 quart that you left in the bottle).

YOU'RE DONE!

I have noticed that engine is a lot more quiet during idling(could be my imagination but it was very noticeable. Anyone felt the same way?). I will change the oil exactly 6 months from now. I know I can drive up to 10000 miles on these oil, but I drive about 7500 every 6 months. So, it'll be easier for me to split them up bi yearly. Feel free to ask me any question(s) you have.

Update as of 01-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK370Z View Post
It was a beautiful day today. In this winter season, having a 45 degree temp is a pretty good reward for us North easterners. So, I decided to do my 3rd synthetic oil change today (4th on the car).

I used K&N (HP-1008) for the last two oil changes. This time, after looking at MODSHACK's oil cooler thread and Shrute's Journal, I have decided to give Purolator PureOne filter a try. I have heard nothing but good things about them and some of my friends approved PureOne more than the K&N. Also, as you know, the stock filter is really small. If you go to the Purolator website , they actually lists the smaller PL-14612 filter for Nissan 370Z, which is comparable to the stock size. But, many members here went with PL-14610 which is slightly bigger (Please see picture below for reference). This oil filter is a little cheaper than K&N ($6) and available at all automotive stores like Autozone/Pepboys etc.

Just like the last time, I did see some metal shavings/fragments on the magnetic drain plug. I'm sure there are metal shavings trapped by the filter magnet as well but I don't have an oil filter cutter . I really wish I could open up one of these filters.

Here are some pictures to share:

Here's the filter I went with. Notice, it's the PL14610 which is slightly bigger than the stock filter

Here's a comparison picture. I took this picture because, when I went to some of the other journals, this filter looked way bigger than OEM (at least twice the size) but in reality, it's not. That's why I put an iphone next to it so that you can get an actual size idea. This filter def looks like the right size for the car, not the dinky OEM filter .

Metal shavings on the magnetic drain bolt.

Installed

I think I should seriously ask Aquafina to sponsor me!

Also, I picked up this oil filter wrench from Pepboys few years back for $5. Definitely something you want to keep in your garage.

Crossed 14,000 miles this week!

Thank you sir!
My Monterey Blue Z ll My Exhaust --> My Intake --> G3
Nissan's Official Response Regarding Oil Temp Issue: CLICK HERE
Need a Set of Cheap Winter wheels /Tires? Then Visit The Banner Link Below and Place Your Order. You'll Help Keep The370Z Alive.
AK370Z is offline   Reply With Quote