Thread: Navigation
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
dawankler
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370Z MB MT
dawankler is on a distinguished road

It does re-route based on traffic jams/construction/etc. I'm a huge fan of sat radio, but I don't think the traffic updates are all that worthwhile, even commuting daily through and around DC. The simple fact is the traffic reroute intelligence in all of the GPS's I've tried (including the 370z's nav) is always spotty and weird. You're always better off knowing your own alternate routes and just listening to your local traffic stations.

It's also only useful if you use the route function EVERY time you drive into/out of work, which always gets annoying to me. I know how to get to/from work so I'm not going to have it talk me through the directions every time I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post
NO! GPS IS FREE ALL THE TIME!

XM Traffic feature does require a subscription to work and to elaborate..

XM Nav Traffic is a seperate subscription..

You would have to pay for XM Radio and XM Nav Traffic seperately.. although I think they will cut you a deal if you buy them both instead of one or the other.

Edit: You get a free 3 months of XM Radio when you buy the Z.. and you get like 1 week of free Traffic (maybe less not sure).. XM Traffic is fairly cheap and I think it's pretty worth it honestly.. they seem to keep the updates going strong on real-time traffic jams.. Although i'm not sure if the GPS unit automatically provides a detour if it sees too much heavy traffic or not. This is something I would like to find out.
dawankler is offline   Reply With Quote