View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
SeattleLion
Base Member

Drives: '13 Mustang GT Prem.
SeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond reputeSeattleLion has a reputation beyond repute
Default A practical Winter Tire Question

I have read the informative threads on snows (with 18 in rims, without, etc.) on the forum. Before investing about $1,000 I have some questions:

1. I live near Seattle. We normally get very little snow/ice. But when we do, there is little-to-no snow clearing done. The local governments don't have many plows and almost no capacity to salt/sand the roads. Considering the very low road clearance of my 370, even with snows, would I have much luck if the snow was over a few inches deep?

2. Has anyone any real life experience on snowy (unplowed and icey) roads with a 370 with snows?

This is the first car I have bought that actually has summer tires on it. The tread doesn't look encouraging to handle any ice or snow at all. I did order a pair of chains for the Z to use in the event a storm catches me when I am at work or out. I do this for every car, just in case.

I have a lot of snow driving experience. I come from NY where we normally got about 10-20 ft of snow a year (not all at once). We have a 4X4 truck so that if the bad weather sets in and we aren't surprised, my wife can drive me to work, etc.

Should I just plan on leaving my 370 in the garage, or can the car actually handle bad weather with the right tires?

One more thing. Our "season" for snow is usually November/December. After that, it rarely goes below freezing here. The La Nina forecast is that we will have an exceptionally cold/snowy time during late fall and early winter. As long as I don't attempt to cross the Cascades, my need for winter tires is just 2 months.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by SeattleLion; 10-05-2010 at 11:46 AM.
SeattleLion is offline   Reply With Quote