View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
The HACK
Base Member

Drives: '06 BMW MZ4 Coupe
The HACK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATEDM View Post
Thanks...The S2000 was intially on my list, but I eliminated it for lack of a fixed roof. Not interested in an AWD vehicle like an EVO or a Subie (weight, complexity, and a bit less fun imo).... Also, don't want another Bimmer or Porsche as I'd like something that is relatively cheap for aftermarket upgrades as a function of higher production volume (prices for parts for my Z4MC were 2x-5x the same parts I've seen on 350z's).

Other than cost-to-speed ratio, what do you consider to be the downsides of the 370z as a track toy (that would cause you to advocate an S2000 or Evo over it) in my case? Weight? Power-to-weight ratio? Other?

thanks again...
Did you know that the 2009 Subaru WRX weighs less than your MZ4 Coupe (the Wagon trim weighs 3187lbs) and can achieve 0-60 in the same time? Do not knock the Subie or the Mitsu before you try it.

Go drive the EVO X and the WRX. The WRX in Wagon trim can be a nice track rat, you can fit 4 wheels, tools, a weekend's worth of cloth in duffel bag, a track jack, and 4 jack-stands. The symmetrical all-wheel-drive takes some getting used to if you're used to RWD, but there are some inherent advantages.

I currently own an MZ4 Coupe, I used to own a 350Z, and now I also have an '09 Subaru WRX wagon I used for daily drive. For less than $25,000 you can not beat the performance numbers, and even the mighty MZ4 Coupe will struggle to keep up with it in certain conditions and turns. It lacks the refinement of the MZ4 Coupe, it's loud, the turdbo lag is a little unnerving at times (I've never owned a turdbo car before), and there's a lot of body roll because the center of gravity is much higher compared to the E86, but for the simple fact that I can put my daughter in the back-seat? No comparison.

The 370Z may be the best of the bunch under $30K, but if you need a car that you can drive around with a bit more versatility, don't look past the Subie and the EVO X.
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote