View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
SmoothZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: giant sandworm
SmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothZ has a reputation beyond repute

I live in MN and winterize my car. In fact, I've had 2 Z's in the past 15 years so I think I'm somewhat knowledgeable about storing the Z.

First thing I usually do is clean the car inside and out. If the car is going to sit for 6 months, I would invest in wheel dollies and store the car that way. Otherwise, jack the car up and leave it on stands. Store the wheels in a dry place.

Take the battery out of the car or leave a trickle charger on it. I guess it depends on whether you have outlets where you store it.

If you're worried about moisture, place rags in your exhaust tips (after your car is completely cooled off) and then wrap sandwich bags around the tips with a rubber band. Keeps the moisture and the mice out of your system.

I've read about fabric softener sheets being placed in the engine bay to keep out mice. I've never tried it, but I don't have problems with mice. I've been known to use hedge balls in the corners of the garage.

I definitely use Stabil with a full tank of gas. It's never hurt the car as far as I can tell. In fact, I can get over 400 miles to a tank on a good road trip. I highly suggest doing this process.

I've read about how people don't recommend starting the car every two weeks. I used to do that, but I don't do it anymore. I just leave the car off for the whole winter and then some.

I have a car cover. I wash, clay, wax and cover the car for the winter. It's just a nice touch to taking car of the Z. Come Spring, it's an awesome feeling to pull the cover off and see a fresh Z ready to be driven.

"I talk to myself, and when I do that, I know I'm talking to an intelligent person."
SmoothZ is offline   Reply With Quote