View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
SlickArrow
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z
SlickArrow is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions on winterizing

Hello folks,

Let me start by acknowledging the fact that there are at least three other threads that cover winterizing your Z, and i have read them all.

I am posting this topic as I have heard (and read here), some conflicting information on what is best to do.

There seems to be two overall approaches for those of us that do not intend to drive our Zs in the winter.

"Leave battery in and start Z up every week or month"

"Take battery out and leave on a battery tender"

Both schools of thought seem to encourage filling the tank to the top with Stabil. Other recommendations were a bit more thorough, and included not using the parking brake, leaving a cement block on the clutch, covering various openings to avoid critters, filling the tires to the max and jacking up the Z..

My major concern is with the battery, although all recommendations are welcome in any replies.

Here are the two conflicted ideas:

I have heard some say that continually starting up the Z in the cold weather to charge the battery every month or week puts unnecessary friction on the engine since the oil is very cold and basically you are continually exposing the engine to the worst conditions (first starts in cold weather).. also the idling engine may not really be providing enough to charge the battery sufficiently, while guzzling gas and reducing the fuel level over the course of the winter thereby increasing the risk of condensation entering the fuel tank / system.. also the heat caused by running the engine could cause condensation inside and outside the engine.. causing rust/deterioration/re-freezing damage etc..

I've also heard from a Nissan Service Manager that removing the battery will cause the Z to need to re-learn the throttle and it may need to go back to the dealership for that process if it doesn't re-learn it correctly.. He had suggested just starting it up monthly.. and I do know that ideally you want to keep the internal parts lubricated which means running the engine..

Here are the details of my situation:

- I do not have a garage
- I am located near Boston ( to give you an idea of the weather that will be experienced)
- My Z is in a self storage garage, that is NOT heated
- I do not plan on using her again until the salt and sand are swept off the road in the spring
- the self storage garage has no power outlets for me to plug a tender into
- The tires are filled with nitrogen, so I do not wish to inflate them to the max using air.
- I wish to do what is best for the engine considering the limitations.
- I would like to avoid unnecessary purchases and service visits/repairs.

now the ask:

I would appreciate any feedback and thoughts on this specific situation.

What would you do?
What have you done?
What worked and what did not?
Any good or bad stories you can share?
Any good web resources (other than google) you could share?

Thanking you all in advance for your thoughts, opinions, and feedback. It is much appreciated!

Thanks,
J

Last edited by SlickArrow; 10-03-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes... and clarifications
SlickArrow is offline   Reply With Quote